Tuesday, February 17, 2009

February Vacation...


Robin and I traveled to Wisconsin for Nanny's 83rd birthday. It was beautiful February weather for the three days we were there. Meghan and Will hosted. Nanny wanted pizza for he birthday dinner. We all sang Happy Birthday, including Drew, who called at just the right time. The cake and the ice cream were marble. YUM!!


She got roses, a down throw and down booties from the Pinkonsly's, Este Lauder and a new nightgown from us and a new TV remote from TJ. Now she can put on her new nightgown, wrap up in the throw and finally not have to get up to adjust the TV. I think the remote was her favorite... Happy Birthday, Nanny!




On the way back to Chicago, Rob and I went to Delafield to visit St. John's, now St. John's Northwestern Military Academy. The town looks like it is a small town in New England, nothing like it did in 1965. Seeing the campus was like going back in time. We arrived just as the Corp of Cadets were marching to noon mess. We were greeted by the Dean and given the run of the campus.
Really, a few things have changed, like the uniforms (slightly) and the library which now has computers, but the gym, barracks, mess hall
and the Chapel were wonderfully the same. Rob thinks the school looks like Hogwarts.

This impressive entrance was not there when I was.

The current Corps of Cadets is the 125th.

The cadets still salute the beacon as they pass.

Smythe Hall... my barracks.
My room was the third window visible from the right on the first floor.


The library is in the same building, Memorial Hall, the oldest building on campus.

Ferrand Hall... the Gymnasium is still the same as it was in 1965.

Victory Chapel... we had chapel every day before noon mess, as well as Sunday.

This is the view from the balcony in Victory Chapel.

The Rose Window was a class present in 1941

We were really glad we went back to visit. 42 years later, the emotions were very close to the surface. I am proud to call this wonderful school my alma mater.

1 comment:

Bird's Eye View Photography said...

oh my goodness dad!! What an amazing journey for you to take! I wish I could have been there with you!